Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Fever


Although it snowed this past weekend on the first official day of Spring, I must admit, I am already suffering from Spring fever. We have reached our midway point for this semester and there are roughly seven weeks left to go before Summer vacation and I am steadily finding it harder to push myself in school. Thoughts of moving out of the dorms once and for all and finally getting three and a half months of well deserved vacation from the non-stop hustle of juggling school with work, sorority life and exercising fill my head. This time of year is full of distractions with extended daylight hours, beautiful weather and an increasing want for being outdoors, but yet school work is getting increasingly more important as we near Final Exams, so I face a struggle. Every year I face the same struggle and always manage to pull through with parent-pleasing grades. If you find yourself in the same position, wanting to be in the beautiful outdoors and losing motivation to pull through here are my personal tips for how to beat "The Fever."

1.) Don't fight your need to be outside. Grab your books, laptop, other study materials and a blanket, head outdoors and study on one of the many lawns around SMU's beautiful campus. If you are too easily distracted by studying with people walking by and birds chirping, then just take a 30 minute study break and go for a walk outside.

2.) Plan fun outdoor events with friends FOR THE WEEKENDS. Don't ditch class to hang out outside because of the beautiful weather or you may end up spending your last few weekends here trying to catch up on what you missed. Instead, go to class every day and stay on top of your work so you can dedicate your weekends to fun with friends.

3.) Get exercise. The warm, sunny weather gives a majority of us more energy than we know what to do with, so before you start studying, go burn off some fuel at the gym or combine this with your need to be outdoors and go for a run outside. You'll be more likely to get your work done after you've gotten rid of the excess energy.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think almost everyone is in this same position. It's so hard to stay focused when all you can think about is how soon summer vacation is. You gave a lot of great tips. I know I hate being stuck inside on a nice day and studying outside is such a great option. This is something that is so easy to do and definitely beats being stuck in the library!

    ReplyDelete