Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blame It On The Dining Hall

On my way home from work the other day, I stopped at CVS Pharmacy with the intentions of picking up my prescription. While I was there, it dawned on me that my friend's birthday was on the following day. I searched around the store looking for a gift, but my options seemed limited to "Bump-Its," lotions, vitamins or "The Perfect Brownie Maker." On my way to the cashier I recalled that we shared a common love for Butterfingers. I picked up a bag of the mini-individually wrapped ones and a card and was satisfied with my modest, but thoughtful gift.

"What a good friend I am," I thought.

Once I got to my room after my long day at work, I realized something: I was extremely hungry. I opened up the bag of Butterfingers and told myself I could have just one and I would put the other Butterfingers in a pretty little gift bag, which would be even better and more thoughtful.

"What a creative friend I am," I thought.

I sat down at my desk for some late night studying with the bag of Butterfingers next to me and one Butterfinger soon led to two... to three.. to five... to the whole bag. I mindlessly sat there and chomped down my friend's entire birthday present.

"What happened to being a good friend?" Months of willpower restraining me from eating the freshly made cookies at the dining hall had disappeared along with the bag of Butterfingers. So I promised myself I would hit the gym extra hard the next day and did what any hungry SMU student would do. I blamed Umphrey Lee.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a funny blog!! I think that umphry lee has been a good and bad thing for me. It really depends who I go with if I eat healthy or not or how much time I have or what time of the day it is, but it is really interesting that after 18 years of being fed and being made meals, we have to pick out our own food. Although I strongly believe my mother tried to really teach me what foods were good for me especially my senior year, I'm not so sure any of it really stuck. The only reason I haven't gone and taken a nutrition class, since I really don't know anything about food, is because one of my friends knows a lot about what is good for me. Who knew that betty's best is not the best for you? I sure didn't.

    ReplyDelete